Publisher: Moon Travel; 2nd edition (May 24, 2022)
Paperback: 568 Pages
Over 1,200 years old, 500 miles long, and rich with tradition, history, and inspiration: Embark on the trip of a lifetime with Moon Camino de Santiago. Inside you’ll find:
- Strategic trekking advice for walking the Camino, including where to start to get the Compostela certificate and excursions to gateway cities like Santiago, Léon, and Pamplona
- Unique ideas for enriching your experience: Admire folkloric art and Romanesque churches, stroll through the stone archways and winding alleys of medieval cities, and soak up mountain views as you cross over the Pyrenees and descend into green valleys. See the archaeological site where Europe’s oldest humans were uncovered and breathe in the salty ocean air as you finish your journey at the shores of the Atlantic
- Savor the local flavors: Enjoy authentic jamón serrano, tapas, and Galician wine, or grab cheese and freshly baked bread for a picnic lunch
- The best detours, festivals, and villages along the way: Linger in Estella, witness the running of the bulls in Pamplona, visit the monastery in Nájera, or sip wine in Cacabelos
- Essential planning information on when to go, how to get there, where to eat, and where to stay, from pilgrim dorms to private hotels, plus tips on hazards, precautions, and gear
- Expert advice from Beebe Bahrami, who has walked the Camino more than 20 times, including valuable history and context of the pilgrimage and the sacred sites, landscape, culture, and local etiquette
- Full-color photos and detailed maps throughout, plus a handy fold-out map of the entire route
- Helpful resources on Covid and walking the Camino
- Handy tools and background information including Spanish and French phrasebooks, visa information, volunteer opportunities, and tips for seniors, women traveling alone, religious and secular travelers, and LGBTQ travelers
Start your transformative journey with Moon Camino de Santiago’s expert insight, unique suggestions, and practical advice.
About Moon Travel Guides: Moon was founded in 1973 to empower independent, active, and conscious travel. We prioritize local businesses, outdoor recreation, and traveling strategically and sustainably. Moon Travel Guides are written by local, expert authors with great stories to tell—and they can’t wait to share their favorite places with you.
For more inspiration, follow @moonguides on social media.
About Beebe Bahrami
A Colorado native based in southern New Jersey, Beebe Bahrami extends her idea of home on regular semi-nomadic treks, visits, explorations, and excavations in southwestern France and northern Spain. Having walked the Camino de Santiago now too many times to count, she has also lived on different stretches of the trail. She has survived pigeon, boar, and rabbit hunting season in the Pyrenees, detoured with sheepherders in Rioja, pressed grapes in León, and studied herbs and rituals with a druid in Galicia.
Beebe is the author of two travel memoirs, Café Oc: A Nomad’s Tales of Magic, Mystery, and Finding Home in the Dordogne of Southwestern France, and Café Neandertal: Excavating the Past in One of Europe’s Most Ancient Places. In addition to Moon Camino de Santiago, she has penned several travel guides, including The Spiritual Traveler Spain: A Guide to Sacred Sitesand Pilgrim Routes, and Historic Walking Guides Madrid. Her work also appears in Wine Enthusiast, The Bark, and Archaeology, among others. To read her work, visit www.beebebahrami.weebly.com.
When Beebe is not on the trail or writing, she is studying trekking gear catalogs, pouring over obscure cookbooks, trying to master the subjunctive in French and Spanish, doing yoga, and surfing her trusty 7’6″ surfboard while dreaming of her next Camino.
Review tour schedule:
Thursday, September 8th: @jenniaahava
Friday, September 9th: @nurse_bookie
Monday, September 12th: Eliot’s Eats
Tuesday, September 13th: Bookchickdi
Wednesday, September 14th: @kelly_hunsaker_reads
Thursday, September 15th: @booksloveandunderstanding
Friday, September 16th: @aneedleinmybookstack
Friday, September 16th: @welovebigbooksandwecannotlie
Friday, September 16th: @wovenfromwords
Monday, September 19th: @everything.is.words
Thursday, September 22nd: @reading_with_nicole
Friday, September 23rd: @groundedinreads
Monday, October 24th: @babygotbooks4life