Publication date : January 12, 2021
Print length : 237 pages
Publisher : Chronicle Prism (January 12, 2021)
Wild Rituals explores how embracing the rituals of the animal kingdom can make us more connected to ourselves, nature, and others.
Behavioral ecologist and world-renowned elephant scientist Caitlin O’Connell dives into the rituals of elephants, apes, zebras, rhinos, lions, whales, flamingos, and many more.
This fascinating read helps us better understand how we are similar to wild animals, and encourages us to find healing, self-awareness, community, and self-reinvention.
• Filled with fascinating stories on 10 different animal rituals
• Features original full-color photos, from the Caribbean to the African savannah
• Demonstrates the profound way we are similar to the wild creatures who captivate us
Wild Rituals journeys into the desert, tundra, and rainforest to reveal the importance of rituals and how they can help us find a simpler, more meaningful way of living.
In a culture of technology where we find ourselves living at a greater distance from nature and each other, this remarkable book taps into the unspoken languages of creatures around the world.
• Caitlin O’Connell is on the faculty at Harvard Medical School and an award-winning author who spent more than 30 years studying animals in the wild.
• Makes a great gift for anyone curious about nature, animals, and how humans compare to and interact with both
• Add it to the shelf with books like Beyond Words: What Animals Think and Feel by Carl Safina; Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are? by Frans de Waal; The Inner Life of Animals: Love, Grief, and Compassion—Surprising Observations of a Hidden World by Peter Wohlleben; and The Soul of an Octopus: A Surprising Exploration into the Wonder of Consciousness by Sy Montgomery.
Caitlin O’Connell, PhD, is a world-renowned elephant scientist on the faculty at Harvard Medical School. She is also an associate of the Harvard University Center for the Environment. She is the author of the internationally acclaimed The Elephant’s Secret Sense, among other award-winning books. Her book Elephant Don is the subject of the award-winning Smithsonian documentary, Elephant King. O’Connell is also the cofounder and CEO of the nonprofit organization, Utopia Scientific. She has taught science writing for Stanford University and the New York Times.
Connect with Caitlin
Monday, January 11th: @bookswithbean
Tuesday, January 12th: @caseys_chapters
Tuesday, January 12th: @babygotbooks4life
Wednesday, January 13th: @plains_reading
Thursday, January 14th: @trainwiththunderdogz
Thursday, January 14th: @naturemamareads
Friday, January 15th: @pnwbookworm
Saturday, January 16th: @shobizreads
Saturday, January 16th: @mmntswithmimi
Sunday, January 17th: @nurse_bookie
Sunday, January 17th: @dropandgivemenerdy
Monday, January 18th: @thereadingcornerforall
Tuesday, January 19th: @nature.books.and.coffee
Wednesday, January 20th: @lovelyplacebooks
Thursday, January 21st: @bookapotamus
Thursday, January 21st: @booksandbackroads
Friday, January 22nd: @theocbookgirl
Saturday, January 23rd: @one.chapteratatime
Saturday, January 23rd: @brew.reading
Sunday, January 24th: @iowaamberreads
Sunday, January 24th: @booksloveandunderstanding
Wednesday, January 27th: @jennifer_hadley_photography